Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Stuffy Nose

Last night I got to go to my first photography class! It was lots of fun. I've already learned so much. I really, really hope that I can use the information and apply it to my pictures. I will post my pictures, and hopefully you can see some progress.

I have been taking a class at the U about Middle East Geography. I'm a crappy student. But I have learned a few interesting things about the Middle East. And guess what? I'm going to share a few with you...

People that accept the Koran are Muslims.
The foundation for the House of Islam is the Five Pillars.
1. Confessions of faith that Muhammed is the messenger.
2. Pray five times a day facing Mecca, the Holy City.
3. Fast during the daylight hours during the month of Ramadan. (This is the month that Muhammed had his revelations).
4. Alms giving of 2%.
5. Pilgrimage, required once in a lifetime to the House of God in Mecca.

The calendar in Islam is 354 days. It takes 33 years to complete a circut. Ramadan will move with the seasons and it is difficult during the summer months. The days are longer and they have to fast longer.
There are Islamic divisions; Sunnis and Shias. Ninety percent of Muslims are Sunnis. They follow the five pillars. Shias accept the rituals but don't believe what Muhammad intended for the community of believers. There is more to the differences, but that is as much as I will go into.

There is a lot of information to learn. I was amazed about how large the Sahara desert is. Water is a major problem over there. I'm starting to learn about oil. I hope I didn't get this information wrong. Sorry if I did.
It's nice learning something new and stretching my brain beyond reading My Little Pony books.
So if you actually read this full post (it was difficult and boring. I know), you may have learned something new today.
Your welcome.

1 comments:

kelly said...

I read the whole thing, and I am a better person for it. Well, a smarter person at least.