Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sayings

Families have sayings. Do you know what I'm talking about? There are tongue twisters like Peter Piper. Or there are little comments that people say that are unique to families. My in-laws have a saying that starts out- "Wanna buy a bird." Lewis said he was the only one that doesn't know it.
In my Olsen family my Grandpa had a story/saying that his mom taught him. I think Cassi and I are the only grand kids that know it. There is a full story that goes along about a boy. The tricky part is his name. The boys name is Nathaniel, Daniel, Abraham, Roderick, Frederick, Peter, Sam, Simon, Diamond, Nicholas, Pat, Christopher, Deacon, and Joseph fat. We were always so proud to tell Grandpa that we could say his full name. My Grandpa also says some funny things like-"That's goofier than a wooden watch. " Or if we offer Gramp something to eat, and he doesn't want it, he'll say, "Nope, just had a bar of soap." When he is leaving to go somewhere, he will say, "Well, I'm off like a dirty shirt." The one he will say about someone he doesn't care for, "I don't trust them any further than I can throw them." My Grandpa is amazing. He cares about people so much. He is not judgemental and would help anyone at any time.
Another thing that Cassi and I would try to say when we were little was to list all of my Grandma's brother and sisters names. My Grandma has 12 brother and sisters. The boys are Sam, Doug and Jim. The girls are Janice (my grandma), Joyce, Carol, Joan, Doreen, Phyllis, Helen, Eddes, Zelda and Marie. I had to call Cassi because I forgot one. My grandma doesn't have so many funny comments like my grandpa. She is equally amazing. You should see her play with my kids. It is like rewinding my childhood. She has a way of knowing what kids enjoy, and then playing with them all day. They just love it! My grandma is always thinking of her great-grandkids and what she can do for them. We are very lucky to have them both.
I love you Gram and Gramp!