Today is the day before the First Day of School for Ruby.
I was thinking about when I was little and the first day of school.
I don't remember too much about first days in elementary school. But I do remember about the night before. My mom would always be doing some ironing. And there was always some Hallmark Hall of Fame Special on TV. You know the really sappy ones? I can distinctly recall one about Hellen Keller. I would always be so excited about my outfit for the first day. And then I don't think I would wear it again for the rest of the year.
I think I figured out why my mom would iron the night before... Well first, it's easier than in the morning rush. And...it's an easy way to hide the tears. Think about it. You pretend you are crying about the stupid Hallmark Hall of Fame Special, and then the tears drop on the clothes and you can iron them right up. Smart lady.
Well today I did the ironing. There were no specials on TV. And I didn't want to cry. So I thought- screw crying, let's exercise. So I went to spin. My favorite teacher is no longer teaching. I really needed a good butt kicking. I stayed and worked hard and did not cry.
Why does it feel like the first day of school is the beginning of the end? Some one is going to push the fast forward button tomorrow. Already Ruby wants to play with the boys, two houses down instead of mom. On Wednesday is she going to apply for a job? By Saturday...I'm going to be a grandma and cashing in on the early bird special at JB's.
So wish me luck, that tomorrow I can hold back the tears until Ruby is behind closed doors, Zane is watching a cartoon, and I am locked in my closet with a box of tissues.
Monday, August 31, 2009
First Day of School Eve
Posted by Amber at 10:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
OMG! I hear ya. I am freaking out already about my little boy growing up. He turns 3, he is in his own bed. He wants to put on all of his own clothes and shoes, and he starts pre-school in a week. How the heck does it happen?
Oh Amber. I remember sleeping in my clothes and shoes the night before and I would put a sleeping bag on top of my bed so that I wouldn't have to make it in the morning.
I still cry every year. It goes so fast after school starts. I blinked and now Hay started 5th grade. It made me understand (a little) why people have 18 children. They just grow up. We can't stop it. So good luck and go have a good cry in your closet.
Oh Amber. SAD! Exciting to see them grow up, but sad! How did it go? I dread that day! I love the ironing idea! You are so cute!
Post a Comment