Tuesday, August 25, 2009

PTA- To join or not to join?

School has started. Just not yet for my kids.
I'm finding out that when your kids are in the beginning stages of school, they kind of take it easy on them.

Zane had his preschool orientation on Monday. He has been so excited for a few months now. He asks me almost every day if he can go to school. Zane will grab his Bumble Bee (transformers) backpack and put it on and tell me it's time for scoool. So on Monday we go into the class. Teacher has all the kids sit on the floor around her. Zaner just sits right next to her and listens attentively. When it is time to go to the back of the class to color, he grabs a little boys hand and goes right on back. I think he glanced in my direction once. My worries are over, the boy is gonna do just fine.

Today Ruby and I had her assessment appointment. We got to meet her teacher. She is very nice and I felt comfortable with the classroom. She even has bathrooms, right in the class! yipeee! I was filling out paperwork and trying not to make Ruby nervous, by listening to her answers. This is what I did happen to over hear...
Mrs. M- "Ruby, could you name these shapes?"
Ruby- "Sure. Tip"

At this point I thought- What kind of shapes is Ruby looking at?

Ruby- "ummm, Nip"

I looked at the shapes. They are just old fashioned squares, triangles, and circles.

Mrs. M- "Um, Ruby. How about you tell me what kind of shapes they are?"

Ohhh. Now she gets it. Ruby was giving each little shape their own special, creative name.


And now a question? Has anyone joined the PTA? I'm going to read up on it. I want to be involved, but I'm not sure if it will eat up all my time? If it is good for Ruby, then I'm game. Thoughts anyone?

Happy new school year to all!!!

6 comments:

The Stone's said...

I love Ruby! I really do! What a cute girl. Tell me what you find out about the PTA. Not quite to that stage yet, but I feel the same way. Especially if you get to do Halloween parties! I would be so good at that!

Keddington Chronicles said...

I have had a lot of people tell me that if I have extra time to give to the school, it is best spent directly with your childs' class. I have followed that advice and been glad that I have. Sometimes.....(not saying all the time) PTA tends to turn into some girl drama (I'm not into all that). But, I realize that is a generalization, so best of luck in your school adventures!!! :)

Bammy said...

Been there, done that. Done it all. That's how is is when you're OLD. Some positions on the board are very time consuming, you could spend time at the school every day. Others just involve special projects a couple times a year. Choose according to your time constraints. But I never missed a year being a "Room Parent" and that's the best!

Amber said...

Use the time you would for the pta and get a job.

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Ruby is so funny. I was laughing so hard when I read this! What a cutie