Friday, February 26, 2010

Welcome to the club!

Welcome to the club Zaner boy!

Today I picked up Zane from school and headed out to my Gram and Gramp's house. My cousins are in town from New York and Chicago so we were going to visit with them and get a hair cut. We were there for no more than 3 minutes when I heard a loud crash and crying from my baby Zane (okay he almost 4 and the size of a 6 year old, but he's still my baby Zane). I found Zane lying on the floor by my grandparents closet with blood gushing from his forehead. After giving him a quick once over, I knew he needed stitches. Luckily, I have read the Twilight series too many times to mention, and I know that head wounds bleed a lot! Cassi was being a quick thinker, she grabbed my purse and was the official ambulance driver. I may go into a lot of detail here, but I like to keep record of this stuff and I'm too lazy to type it down somewhere else. Anyways, we headed over to the local After Hours Clinic. We have had to visit there many a times with Sweet Lew's injuries and the pediatrician's office is too far on 2000 East. At this clinic the receptionist was a little preoccupied with her phone call to a friend and after I gave her all my insurance info, she turned away the bleeding child because they do not accept Aetna insurance. Nice.
We then headed to the next insta-care, meanwhile Zane is being a tough guy trying not to cry but still has moments of crying from the open head wound. I was very fortunate at this insta-care because a sweet lady from my ward, Tanya Davis, works at the admitting desk. They checked us in and had a nurse put on some numbing gel. As soon as it kicked in Zane decided to upgrade from the promised tough guy ice cream cone, to a transformer toy from Target. I gave in, how could I refuse? While we were waiting to get called back, my sweet Lew stopped in. He told us that he was Zane's age when he got his first set of stitches. Lewis was running around his uncle's truck and the tailgate was down, bam, stitches right above his eyebrow. Lew's brother, Joey, also got his first set of stitches at this age. Joey fell on some concrete steps and cut his forehead wide open. So now Zane is a member of this club! I hope he does not have the same track record as the other two, or I will be on a first name basis with the doctors.
The receptionist was really nice a brought Zane some popsicles. So nice. After about 40 minutes we were called to a back room. His head was washed out and we had to wait for our turn. The wound started to seperatesome more and the fatty tissue and skull was showing. The nurse told me that this location is the busiest insta care in the valley (probably from all the gunshot wounds or stabbing victims. I live in da hood). I was able to get a picture of Zane's head with my phone. See below. Zane's patience was running low. He just wanted to go home. We tried to keep him entertained by playing games on my phone, coloring the paper on the table, coloring my arms, anything! We were there for a while and the lady next to us also had a head wound, but the doc got to her first. So I told Zane to start to yell and maybe they will come fast to shut up the crying kid. At Cassi's suggestion he started to yell, "Help Me! Help Me!" and then had to stop because he was giggling too much. The doctor came in. He had to check Zane's ears for bleeding in case there was bleeding from a skull fracture. He then gave each of us a position. Cassi had to hold down his legs, I got his upper body and the nurse had to hold his head. The doc then began to give him some more numbing shots. Zane was screaming bloody murder. Oh, it broke my heart. After it kicked in and the doctor was stitching him up, I started telling Zane stories about Spiderman, Ironman and Bumblebee. He calmed right down and fell asleep. Lewis does the same thing when getting stitches. When the doctor was done he looked over at Cas and said, "Hey, are you alright? Your looking a little pale." I looked back at Cassi and she was a pale green and had taken off her sweat shirt to cool off. It was so funny. She was about to pass out! The doctor left and came back with three popsicles for Cassi. Hilarious! It turned out that Zane needed three inside stitches and then glue on the outside. The doctor had studied plastic surgery, so he did a really nice job. My boy is still as handsome as ever. After visiting with my family and buying Zane his transformer, we got Zane in jammies and he fell asleep right away. Here is the final picture. When he saw himself in the mirror, he just said, "Oh dear". I'm so happy my boy is okay. He is such a good little guy.

4 comments:

HORROCKS FAMILY said...

I was a witness to the screaming and it was horrible! Zane really was such a tough guy!! Once it was over you would never know that anything happened!! Love that little (or big) guy!!

The Egans said...

I wasn't even a witness and I still feel like I might pass out. I just have a weak stomach (I get it from my dad). So, I have to admit that I didn't read all of it...just bits and pieces because I was almost a gonner. I do want to say POOR ZANE!!! Good job being brave buddy! He totally deserves a transformer instead of popsicle! I think I'll go have a popsicle now. ;)

The Stone's said...

Oh Zane! Poor Poor boy! Ugh... I feel a little light headed. Can you tell Katie and I are related?

The Harding Hive said...

Add me to the light headed list. Maybe that is why I only had one boy....probably less stitches in my future. And really....now that I'm thinking about it...Olivia will probably need stitches before Austin will.

I loved this post Amber. I HAD to read all of it, light headed or not because you are so funny.

And OH, HOW I LOVE IT when I have to interrupt the receptionists phone call with a friend, no doubt, to get some help. Good grief! Do your job!

I'm so glad he's OK!