I haven't put a lot of thought into this post. Just a warning.
I finished a great book yesterday. It is one of those books that you are sad that it ended. The book is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. The title gives nothing away. It is so good! The first word that pops into my mind when I think of it is charming. It is set in London in 1946. The book is letters to and from the character Juliet Ashton. She is an author, and she is hilarious. I truly loved this book. Here are a few lines that I enjoyed;
"I much prefer whining to counting my blessings."
"I don't want to be married just to be married. I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with."
"When I got up this morning, the sea was full of sun pennies - and now it all seems to be covered in lemon scrim"
(This is referring to taking care of a little girl) "Even when I'm not actually watching her, I'm watching her. If she's in any sort of danger, my hackles rise. I always know where she is, just as I know where my hands are - and if I didn't, I should be sick with worry."
All of the letters are closed with such sweet sentiments. They use- Yours truly, yours ever, fondly, yours in haste, your friend. It made me want to write an actual letter to someone. This is a book I will have to purchase. I highly recommend reading this book.
Next. My Grandma and Grandpa Olsen are coming home!! Yipee Yahooo! They pull a big trailer down to Yuma, Arizona every year. They leave the first week of January and come home the middle of March. Oh I miss them so much. They left this morning and drive to Mesquite. Then they leave in the morning and get home around 4 or 5. We are going to be there to see what they think of the remodel of their house. My mom is playing a little joke. She bought them a dishwasher. It came with the protective plastic layer, which is lime green. Ma left it on to see what they thought. HA! I will take some pictures of the finished kitchen and let you know if they liked it. Yippee. It's so exciting! Every year I get so anxious. I always have moments of road rage driving to their house. One year Cassi spotted them on the freeway on her way home from college. She was all giddy to see them too! Last year the kids were not running into their house fast enough and I had to knock down a few toddlers to get to them. I don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight!
bye
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Little of this, a little of that..
Posted by Amber at 10:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Guess what? When our old house was being built, the day that the dishwasher was installed, I went to see the progress of the house and called Chris immediately to tell him that our dishwasher was so ugly because it was bright green along the panel. Then my sister in law and her husband stopped by to see the house and I was all fired up because of the ugly dishwasher. My bro-in-law cracked up laughing, pulled the sticker off and teased me relentlessly about it for the next few years.
Also, I love that you knocked down a few toddlers to get in the house to see your grandparents. You are so funny. And how do you find all these great books?
Sara,
I found this book from the good reads website. It has a lot of suggested readings. Or you can get books recommended from friends. I usually go on the library website and then reserve them to read. This one is one that I will buy for my little library.
Your grandparents are so cute, you're lucky to have them. And they are so lucky to have you guys! I can't wait to hear how they react to the kitchen. Love ya!
Post a Comment