I have two dogs. Dewie is a little over 9 years old. Koko is now 9 months old.
We have had dog issues lately. Koko likes to chew on things. The latest victim was Lew's expensive headphones. She has chewed on things like Belle's (a doll) arm, my drip irrigation system which is now in two parts, our blinds, computer cords, light cords, my shoes, my pine tree, the trunk of our trees and now my favorite perennials. Every time she chews on things we repair them. We try to stay away from the white trash look.
She has also eaten things that she should not, for instance, chocolate chip cookies, grapes, chocolate bars, the children's breakfast, lunch and dinner, and most recently the little pad that soaks up raw chicken juices. The good news is that the chicken juice pad was passed just fine.
Koko has been getting better. But she will jump on people when they come over. We have her trained to not jump on the kids because she is so large. Yesterday she did get so excited that she pushed me down one of our front steps. It was a little comical and embarrassing.
I try to take Koko running with me to help her burn off energy. It has been frustrating for me because she will run fast and then I'm just getting pulled the whole time and not working it. We bought her a choke collar. It sounds mean, but it will just tighten if she pulls too hard and then loosen when she backs off a little. This has helped as well.
Due to my frustration I decided to read about training your dog.
Enter Cesar Millan.
Wait..
Shhhh...
Can you hear the trumpets?
Can you hear the angels singing?
Cesar Millan is the dude that Oprah had on her show for training your dogs. Well I picked up his book and have been trying some of the stuff. He talks a lot about how dogs are animals, not our babies. They need exercise, discipline and affection. We need to be the pack leader. The Alpha. Humans need to be dominant, and the dogs submissive. Dogs obey less to yelling and more by nose, eyes and ears. They want you to be the pack leader. I'm wondering if Stephenie Meyer has read his book? There was parts in there that completely fit with werewolves. Hmmm?
We had complete control of Hewie and Dewie. Both of them would mind us so well. But Koko is a higher energy dog.
Today I took her running. I was using Cesar's tips. I was the alpha. I was being calm submissive. I was sending calm submissive energy to Koko. AND IT WORKED!!! She ran by my side the whole time. It was awesome!!! I'm not even done with the book and she was doing great!!
I AM THE PACK LEADER!!!
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
I AM THE PACK LEADER
Posted by Amber at 10:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Amber,
It is so funny we are going through similar dog struggles! I actually watched an episode of the dog whisperer and it was about a boxer. I was so shocked because there temperment is just like Ginger-although she is a boston terrier. I could not believe how similar they look and act. Gingie is also insane high energy! All of the stuff you said about koko is Ging as well. I was so impressed by this episode I have put everything on hold at the library that I could find. I havent gotten anything yet but I am so glad to hear its working for you. I also just had my first puppy training class with her last night. The instructor was amazing. I am really hoping this turns a corner for us with her. It has been hard. I also just need to get her more excercise. I have got to find a way to fit it in. If I get any good tricks from training I will pass them a long. You do the same and good luck!
Dogs are not your babies! Oh, JoAnn is not going to be happy about that! What about if they're poodles? Can they be your babies then? Good Luck with your training, pack leader!
p.s-i thought you were going to say you were in charge of cub scouts or something :)
Post a Comment