Recently things have been SO crazy.
It has been a toss up of good with the bad.
Today we had a bad, and I'm searching for the good.
Lew has had Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease for over 4 years now. He has made many life style changes, such as healthier foods, non-caffeinated drinks, more exercise, and our bed is on an incline. Lew has had multiple tests, some lasting a few days, to help determine the best treatment for his reflux. Lew has had multiple medications. Some of them one at a time, and some in strange concoctions to make them work. The next plan of attack is surgery. We met with an incredible surgeon last week. Things fell into place, he had an opening for surgery on Monday (today), Lew had a week scheduled off for vacation, Lew's mom was available to stay with us to take care of the kids, and my cousin Sara was ready to help with taking Zane to school. The surgery was to pull Lew's esophagus down, tighten the diaphragm, and then wrap a portion of his stomach around his esophagus to stop the acid from moving up. The surgery is called Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. The first two weeks Lew could only drink fluids. Then the next two to three weeks- soft foods. And then slowly he could start introducing more foods. In about 6 months he would be feelin' fine.
Well, all was set up just great. We got to the hospital to check in, we are about to head to the surgical room, and the nice admitting girl- Ashley, said, "You have about $2,000 to meet the out of pocket maximum and then you will be paying 50% of the balance."
Hold on!
The pre surgical financial people were suppose to call us if there were any problems. Um, that's a problem. They forgot to call. The surgery would be at least $7,000 out of pocket! Really!
So we had to go home. No surgery. No feeling better. Now we are looking for a surgeon that we feel confident in to do the surgery, and that he and the hospital will be in our network. Sad.
I'm grateful for insurance. I know things would be more expensive with out it. But honestly, there is some little loop hole in every plan to squeeze the most out of every family. It's killing me that he can't get better without going bankrupt?! Where is the silver lining?
I'm really not complaining. Okay, I am. There has been so many struggles for so many people lately. Here are just a few; two divorces in our family, Cassi has mysterious hand crippling, her dog- Snickers has cancer and is getting chemo, a huge fire a few blocks away from Cassi's house, my mom had sinus surgery, Jess had emergency back surgery, Katie had a stroke, Christians mysterious knee crippling, and one of Shayla's best friends was killed in a car accident. The positive thing throughout all of the trying times is that people are pulling together. I have been able to see people help each other and make things a little easier. I love being able to talk to people I love, give them a big hug and grow closer to them.
We have had a lot of fun things happen also in the past few weeks. Soccer games, dance, back to school, Lew isn't back in school, camping, fishing, hiking, cycling, playing, running, watching movies, music, parties, and good conversations. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm not grateful for what I have. I am. I have a wonderful family. We are healthy and happy. And I know things could be a whole lot worse.
I have heard-"what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Well, I have been associating with a lot of strong people. I'm hoping and praying that things are getting better, little by little. And, - I was planning on taking care of a sick Lew for the next few weeks, so if anyone needs something, give me a call I have a few weeks open in my schedule...
Love to all
Monday, October 4, 2010
Taking the Good with the Bad
Posted by Amber at 9:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I am feeling pretty sorry for myself tonight and this was good to read to put things into perspective. I do have things good, and I know I need to focus on that too...It feels hard right now. Thanks so much for the visit it meant a lot. I am so sorry about Lewis. I totally get the insurance thing! we have it, it would have been a lot worse without it, but Its pretty bad with. We will be paying for a long time to come.
I wish I had more than $5 in my pocket to give you. I am so sorry! Things are so crazy around here. I am working a ton and my kids are sad. Keep your chin up. I keep playing the lottery. Hopefully I will win someday.
Kate told me about that crazy hospital insurance. I can't believe that! The good news is, we got to spend all night with each other last night and that made a lot of things a lot better! Thanks toshio!
You know what is so great about you? You are the first one to jump up and help out in any given situation. So when you talk about pulling together, I hope you realize that you are a huge source of that pulling togetherness. You are a good example of "strong"....physically, emotionally, and mentally, and I am so glad that I have you in my life.
Such a bummer about the surgery! And I feel like you do...it seems like there's a lot of people struggling right now...lots of sad things going on. We are blessed to have a lot of good things in our lives though! I'm with Sara, I'm grateful for you! You are such a sweetheart and you and Cassi make really good dinners and cookies!
Post a Comment