Sunday, August 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Sweet Lew!

It was my Sweet Lew's birthday on Saturday.
He loves having another birthday!
lie
He enjoyed going to work!
lie
He really wanted to go shopping for clothes!
lie
To make things a little better for him we went to dinner to La Puenta with our kids, Lew's brother Joey and his friend Kristy. We then went back to our house and had a little party for Lew. Zane really wanted to have a super hero party so we decorated the place in Super Hero Squad style.
I did make Lew a delish cake. I made it last week for my mom to take to work, so Lew has been craving it since then. It really is good. Here are the reviews that I overheard...

My ma, "This is the best cake I have ever had!"

Joey, "I don't really like bananas, but this is good."

Ruby, "Yummy!"

Zane, "I call onions- snot plants."

Well, you can't please them all.
But I can guarantee this cake will please 95% of the party goers!
I'm going to share the recipe with you. It comes from the Kraft Foods Magazine. Does anyone else miss that magazine! They had some good stuff, but then I noticed that the recipes were beginning to be repeated?..
Anyway, here you go... (If you make it, e-mail me with your review)

Banana Sour Cream Cake
Ingredients
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup of mashed, ripe bananas (about 3)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 c oil
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese- softened
1/2 c butter- softened
4 c powdered sugar
1 c walnuts (I didn't add. Lew gets cankers)
Heat oven to 350.
Beat cake mix, eggs, bananas, sour cream, and oil with mixer on medium to moisten. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl. Mix on medium for about 2 minutes. Pour into 13 x 9 greased and floured pan.- don't skip that part, really.
Bake it 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
Beat cream cheese and butter until well blended. Add the powdered sugar gradually, and beat well after adding all of it.
Remove cake from pan and cut in half crosswise using serrated knife. To make frosting the cake easier, freeze it for 20 minutes and then you don't get little chunks of cake floating in the frosting. Now put one cake half, top side down, and spread top with frosting. Top with other cake half, top side up. Frost top and sides of both cakes with frosting. If you wanna, add walnuts or fun sprinkles or super heros.
Completely yummy, totally worth the calories and extra exercise this week!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Love it!! Sorry I'm such a sucky sister and stuck in my own world. Happy Birthday Lewie. I would write you a poem, but I can't rhyme. The cake looks delicious. I miss you guys

Bammy said...

Yummmmmm....I was just wondering what to fix for book club tomorrow night. I think you solved my problem! Happy B'day Lew!

The Harding Hive said...

Oh.My.Gosh! That sounds like the yummiest cake ever. And now, at 10:55 pm, I have a sudden craving for cake, or bananas. Either one! I may start calling you Betty Crocker!

P.S. I'm also going to start calling onions..snot plants. He's hilarious.