My Grandpa Olsen is tougher than nails. Let me explain...
A few years ago he came home from being a snowbird in Yuma Arizona. While down there he fell and hit his head. A blood vessel broke and was slowly leaking blood into his brain. He was not acting like our sharp, and witty grandpa. Fortunately, we got him into the hospital and they drilled holes in his skull, and all was well.
Two years later, it happened again after he fell.
This past summer, gramp was working at the farm and twisted his ankle. After a few weeks it was not getting better. After a visit to the doctor he found out that that he tore his Achilles heel!?
So on Friday, Gramp was feeding the animals. He has all kinds of animals; llama, goats, deer, sheep, chickens, doves, and pigeons. Gramp heard the buck (male deer) grunting and jumping behind him. Gramp turned around and the buck charged him. It threw him about 5 feet, he landed on his butt and had a bloody nose. Did I also mention that the buck still has his antlers on? When he hit Grandpa, one of the points on his antler impaled Grandpa's neck. It made a hole about an inch wide. Well the fight was not over. Gramp got back up and he charged him again. It happened a third time and this time the buck rolled him on the ground with his antlers. Gramp scrambled to safety under a manger. If he didn't he was sure that the deer would have killed him. After finding his glasses, grandpa grabbed a BB gun and aimed for the deer. He said, " I didn't want to blind the poor bugger so I shot him once in each shoulder to scare him away."
Thank heavens that Grandpa got away. I tried taking a picture of the buck last night, but it was really dark. You can sort of see the outline of his antlers here. I wasn't about to go in the fence for a picture. This buck has gotten more ornery this past year. He charged Cassi once and bruised her hip.
Grandpa has a friend that have a lot of deer, so he is going to take this violent one away. It's a good thing because the rest of the family has had a sudden craving for venison.
Lesson of the story- Stay in your house on Christmas Eve.

3 comments:
WOW! Your poor grandpa. He is a trooper. I'm glad he is OK! And I'm glad the deer is going away.
Whoa . . .your grandpa is definitely one tough cookie!
Holy Cow! I'm glad he's okay too! He's one tough cookie!
Post a Comment