I've been thinking about motivation a bit today.
I took the kids swimming to the Kearns Olympic Pool today. They absolutely loved it.
I sunscreened and reapplied, and the kids got their first sunburn on their cheeks.
So while I was there I was thinking about motivation.
What motivates some people to do the things they do.
I'm not just talking about -what motivated that chick to buy that swimsuit? That could be fun to find out though? Was it to impress a guy? Because it makes her look hot? Or did she just really like hot pink? Who knows?
I'm talking about motivation to do specific things.
There are little motivating factors. For instance, today while we were swimming. There is a monster 1000 gallon bucket. I'm not joking. I checked. It's 1000 gallons. It tips over and drenches anyone and everyone underneath it. Cassi and I had said that standing under that thing looks like torture, and no fun at all. Well, 3 hours later I was on the receiving end of that dump keeping 3 kids upright. What was my motivation? A simple please and a smile from Ruby.
Most mom's and dad's get all their motivation from their kids. Even though kids don't understand that at the time. They get sad because Dad has to go to work. The reality is that Dad would love to stay at home with them, but he is motivated by them to provide them with their needs. This is how life is.
My other thoughts on motivation was sparked by my cousin- Devin. Tonight he came home from California. He just graduated from Basic training to be a Marine. Dev was headed on the wrong path and making some bad decisions. He had moved away and then decided to become a Marine. Dev has excelled in his training. He has even been moved up in his ranking because he had done so well. It has been interesting seeing the changes in him from when he left and how he is doing now. Devin even decided to go to church and was ordained a priest. And this is from a boy that did not grow up in the church. He did not have a girl there to get him to go to church. He is motivated to make his life better. We have been so proud of him for turning his life around, and working so hard to be the best.
Today I have really been thinking about what motivates us to make our decisions. Whether it is small things, or life altering decisions. What motivates you?
Friday, July 17, 2009
Motivation
Posted by Amber at 10:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Well, that just made me all teary eyed again!!! How did you know I bought that hot pink swimsuit to impress a guy?
WARNING...This will be really long...I wish I could say I was motivated entirely from an eternal perspective but I'm not. You and Lewis have motivated me more than anyone else so far in my life. When I met you I was at Mary's office coloring Winnie the Pooh pictures. You were a flawless girl with really cute shoes. I used to cut out pictures from magazines of couples that looked like you and Lewis and hang them in my room. When I grew up I only wanted to be your twin and marry a "Lewis" and write cute notes to each other all over our house. Now you motivate me because of how much you've given up to stay at home and raise your kids. You sacrifice a lot. Also whenever I think school is hard, work sucks, my belly hurts I just tell myself that Lewis's school is even harder, Lewis's stomach hurts even worse, Lewis's work sucks too and he even has kids! It gets me through a lot of days! Thanks for motivating me!
Hum...I get motivated alot from fear and my children. I do my taxes in fear of the IRS. I am motivated to go to work after 4 hours sleep because I want my kids to eat. I exercise in fear of getting chubby. Right now I am being motivated by my children. I want them to have a better life than I am giving them. I want to make changes so that we will be financially secure (See fear again) I always thought that I would grow up and have this perfect marriage and life. My hubby would go off to work in his suit. I would stay at home and take my kids to the park and play dates every day. We would go shopping and do all kinds of activities. I also thought that I didn't have to be strong, physically and spiritually, because my husband would do that for me. I was wrong. He owns one suit, but it is rarely worn. I am motivated to teach my daughters to be strong women because of the hardships I have gone through in my life and my marriage. To be motivated while their young to get their education, so they don't have to be motivated by fear, but be prepared. To beable to count on themselves for financial support.
Post a Comment