Friday, January 28, 2011

Snowshoeing!

Lew and I went on a hot date with Lew's sister Raney and her husband Ty. They took us snowshoeing up Parley's Canyon.

When we went, it was so smoggy in the valley. We really needed to see a bit of sunshine. Check out this tree. It forgot that it's winter and not fall.

The weather was perfect on top of the mountain. Well, almost. I like it in the low 90's, but the mid 50's felt good too.
Lew and I had never been snowshoeing before this. It was easier than I had imagined. I thought that it would be really awkward, but the actual snowshoes were light-weight and not very wide.

We both fell a few times, but there were no giant snowballs made out of our bodies, so I think we did pretty good. The snake-like road in the background is I-80 going up and down Parley's Canyon.
Ty goes hunting up here a lot. He was a good guide, telling us all the hot spots. Check out the mountain in the far distance. If you can see the haze at the base, that's Salt Lake valley.

This is Raney and Ty. I really like doing stuff with them. They are health nuts, who are fun and like to be adventurous. I want to be more like them when I grow up.
Another tree forgot what season it is.
On the way back down, Ty used the sled (butt) route to go down the hill.

Sweet Lew decided to sprint down the mountain. He didn't even fall once!
Lew and I strongly dislike, well, no,. We hate the winters and being stuck inside. We don't ski or snowboard. This snowshoeing stuff was pretty fun. I want to try another, longer, all day thing. Maybe stay in a yurt? Have a picnic? Winters still stink, but this makes it a little more tolerable.
Thanks Raney and Ty!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

This looks so fun! one day I need to try it. By the way with all of your delicious cookie recipes your making it really hard for me to try and get these holidays pounds off that I have collected.

HORROCKS FAMILY said...

I love all of the black and white pictures!

The Stone's said...

Amber, you are the best photographer ever! Seriously! I love those! Snowshoeing sounds fun... maybe I should try it!