Monday, December 20, 2010

Sugar cookies and Ruby's dance concert

Cookie Friday did happen. It carried over to cookie-marathon-making Saturday. Here are the cookies for Friday... The recipe is called Zora's Sugar Cookies.
It is Lew's favorite sugar cookie. They are a little different. He does not like them thick and fluffy. These are more thin and crisp. Lew's aunt Kathy makes these and they are really good and addictive. When Lew and I got married, his mom had given us one of the last copies of the Jerome Canning Kitchen cookbooks. It was published in 1983, and it's a classic. Lots of good recipes.
So here you are...

1 c. shortening
2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c cream

Cream together, then add:
4 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt

Roll out and bake at 350 about 8 to 10 minutes or until very light (white) brown.

The frosting that is perfect with this cookie is from Lew's mom- Jo. So, so good.

4 c powdered sugar
1/2 c shortening
5 T milk
1 tsp vanilla extract or coconut extract.

Use the coconut. It gives it great tasting flavor. If the frosting is too stiff, add more milk.

I was planning on giving cookies to friends and neighbors so I doubled the recipe.



Ruby counted how many was left after all of the test cookies were devoured.

Now about Ruby's in studio dance concert. It's so fun to go to the studio and watch the girls dance. It is more up-close and personal and we are able to really see Ruby and how she has improved over the past year. This is her class.
Here is her dance teacher (and my cute cousin) Shayla, Ruby and Baylee.

And this is Ruby in her dance pose in front of the tree. She danced so well! The song was Marshmallow World. My favorite part is when she has to swivel her hips around! Oh she did it so cute and sweet! And she cracks me up every time because she is always so concerned that she is on the right spot. Then during the free dance she always tells me not to watch. So I have to pretend I'm not watching and watch her through the mirrors or my camera. She has such a strong personality, and I love it!
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

She is so cute Amber. I hope you guys have a great Christmas!

The Stone's said...

Oh cute little Ruby! The hips part was my favorite too! Sure do love you guys!