Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My little Noodle

I have such a good little girl. She has so many wonderful qualities about her. Ruby loves to sing. Yesterday while I was driving to the store, she sang me a song about daffodils. Five minutes, non-stop about daffodils. Zane still has a bunch of glue on his forehead from his stitches. It has to fall off on it's own. The edges are slowly coming off, but we have to cut off the edges so germs don't get trapped and cause infection. Zane will not let me touch his head unless his "Roob" is holding his hand. After the trimming is finished, Ruby will put her arm around him and lead him to her room to play barbies. The minute I drop Ruby off at school, Zane will mention how much he misses her. This past week we were playing at Grandma Deb's house. Ruby slipped on a piece of sidewalk chalk and fell on a step/door jam. The picture above is of her bruise later that night.

Recently Ruby has wanted a new pet. I told her we really have our hands full, ugh, my hands full with two doggies. Ruby was shooting out ideas of potential pets- ferret, bird, snake, cat, hamster, mouse, fish, her very own boxer, and Lew's suggestion of a tarantula (I'm terrified of spiders). We finally settled on a ladybug. That's a pet I can live with. Fortunately for us the weather was nice and she caught a ladybug. After she showed Dad the bug, she let it go free.
A few weeks ago we went to my niece, Emma's, baptism. This is the first baptism that Ruby and Zane have witnessed. After Emma was baptized, and we were waiting for the confirmations to begin, Ruby and I went to the bathroom. The wheels in Ruby's head were working from the talks we just heard. Rub started to ask me questions about the Holy Ghost.
Let's pause for a second.
I could tell that she was really understanding about being baptized. As a parent, it's one of the mini moments that you think- I will remember this mini moment forever. Why did I have to be urinating during this great mini moment?
Play.
The questions she was asking me were so cute. "So mom, when does Emma get to open her present?" (getting the gift of the Holy Ghost). "Mom, what does the Holy Ghost look like?" "Do you think the Holy Ghost is hiding under the benches?" "Why is it called a gift, if she is not opening up any presents?" We talked more and I thought I had cleared up a few items.
When the remaining talks began, the first speaker put a beautifully wrapped present on the podium. Oh GREAT! All my convincing just went down the toilet! (har har) Ruby's eyes lit up and she said, "See mom, she'll open up the present and see the sparklie Holy Ghost!"
Today Ruby announced that her friend Emily is moving to a different country. Ruby has had a difficult time with recess. She gets nervous about who she is going to play with. She has been consistently playing with the same girl, Emily, for the past few weeks. They play horseland, polly pockets and fairies. Tomorrow Emily will have her last day at school. When we were picking out a gift I suggested some candy, Ruby said that she wanted to give her something that she could keep and always remember her by. Ruby made this sweet card. She wanted to add our phone number, but I think it may be too expensive to call from Mexico. Ruby even left the room for a few minutes and came back with tears in her eyes. My little girls heart is broken. This parenting thing is tough. I'm so thankful for my little Ruby. She brings such joy to my life.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

What a sweet, thoughtful little girl you have. I am right there with you on the social/friends thing. It just rips your heart out. Arlo has had a few incidents with being treated mean and left out and I just want to cry-it is SO HARD just to let them work it out. The psycho comes out in me...and he's not even in school yet. I am in trouble.

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

That little Ruby is a sweetheart!