I love dogs.
I once had a dog named Fee-Fee.
Lew and I got married and then 5 months later we bought us some puppies. We named them Hewie and Dewie. Hewie was a yorkie and Dewie a westie. We lived in a tiny apartment that did not allow dogs. We got them anyway and they chewed up the walls. I would dress them up for Halloween and take them into work. They had many costumes. In this picture you can see Dewie as a bumble bee and Hewie as superman. I love dogs.
This is Hewie. We got Hewie two days after Dewie. She was so little. When we moved into our house in West Valley we were testing out the sprinkler system. We have a little hill in our backyard. When the sprinklers came on, Dewie was at the top of the hill alone. It scared her and she didn't know where to go to get away from the scary sprinklers. Well, Hewie is really protective. She ran through the water, up the hill to Dewie. She gave her a sniff and then showed Dewie how to run along the fence line to not get wet. Dewie followed her back to the safety of the porch. It was pretty sweet. Hewie loved to bark. It drove Lew nuts. Every time someone came to our house we would know it as soon as they pulled up to the house. We turned off the doorbell because Hewie would do the job. Hewie gave good kisses too. When she got really excited she would put her little paws on my face. Hewie could smile as well. I have a picture of it. When I can figure out how to use our scanner, I'll add it to this blog. But really, she could smile. She was so sweet. We had to put our sweet puppy to sleep on February 6th of this year. One morning she just started to throw up blood. Cassi and I took her to the vet. After a lot of tests and treatments she was still too sick. She continued to throw up a lot of blood. We thought it was best to not make her suffer and put her to sleep. Hewie was always laying on the ground by my feet. So we buried her at the farm by the produce stand. Now when grandpa is there she will be laying at his feet. Even today, when I am doing things around the house I can always picture where Hewie would be laying at the moment. I miss her with all my heart, and I can't wait to see her again and get more Hewie kisses. (sorry, this is therapy for me).
Hewie and Zane got along great. Zane would get pieces of dog food and carry it around the house saying, "Hewie, are you?" And Hewie would follow him and eat it out of his hands.
After Hewie died, I decided I would not have a dog again. It hurt my heart too much. Dewie has been missing her. Ruby and Zane have been missing her. Lew has been shedding tears as much as I have. He missed how she could run so fast and jump off of our rock wall. So we have been thinking about getting another dog. I said no. I still say no. We thought if we got one it had to be a puppy so we could teach her to be soft with the kids and with Dewie. We did not want to get one to replace Hewie, just one to make Dewie and the kids happy and to be good with animals. So after a lot of research. We got a puppy. I don't want a dog, but we did it anyway.
I have to admit she is really cute. She is a purebred boxer. Boxers are wonderful with children. She is really sweet. We got her this past weekend. Dewie is not happy. I'm trying to warm up to the idea. She really is good though. She has only had a few accidents in the house and all of it was on the tile. One poop on the carpet. But Ruby has been a great help. She loves her. Zane doesn't really care for her. We couldn't decide on a name. We (meaning mom and dad make suggestions and Ruby shoots them down) thought of cookie, Bella, Jasper, Alice, and reeses. Ruby thought of Twilly, Tink (tinker bell), chili, cherry, butterfly, pancakes, sugar and KoKo. Well, KoKo won. Here is her little mug shot. I'm learning to love this dog.

2 comments:
Learning to love that dog???
I love it already just from looking at the picture!
your post made me kinda sad. I don't know what I'll do when my Molly leaves me. It will just break my heart. I love her more than a person should love a dog.
Amber, I am so sorry about Hewie. I have never cried reading a blog before, until today. I know you loved Hewie so much. KoKo is soooooo cute, and tell Ruby I love the name.
Post a Comment