Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Born to Run

This past Saturday I finished reading a book titled Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. This was my second attempt at reading this book. There are a lot of characters in this book. I would think, "that's it. I'm done." And then there would be something in the next page to keep me going. Lewis had read it and told me to keep going. I'm really glad that I did.
Basically the book is about a guy that wanted to run, but it hurt too much. After many doctors and research he found info about a tribe called the Tarahumara Indians who live in Mexico's Copper Canyons. He searched for this cooky guy who was called Caballo Blanco (translated to mean White Horse). The book talks about Caballo Blanco, lots of runners, and finding out more about the tribe and their secret to running long distances. It had a lot of great info. I only had about 5 chapters left to go and Lew texted and said that Micah True was found dead? What? Who is that?
Well Caballo Blanco's real name is Micah True. (His birth name is something else, but this is what he went by). So I was reading about this incredible man and they found him dead in the desert. He went for a 12 mile run, didn't come back, so a search party tried to find him. Four days later he was found in the desert. Here is the weird part that I found at the back of the book. "Ever since second grade, he'd (Caballo Blanco) idolized Geronimo, the Apache brave who used to escape the U.S. Calvary by running through the Arizona badlands on foot. But how did Geronimo end up? As a prisoner, dying drunk in a ditch on a dusty reservation." "When I get too old to work, I'll do what Geronimo would've if they'd left him alone, Caballo said. "I'll walk off into the deep canyons and find a quiet place to lie down." There was no melodrama or self-pity in the way Caballo said this, just the understanding that someday, the life he'd chosen would require one last disappearing act."

It has not been announced what Caballo's cause of death was. I am sad to hear that he passed away, but it sound like it was the way that he wanted. So here is to you Caballo Blanco! And when I run I will be thinking Easy, Light, Smooooth and Fast.

0 comments: